It's National Cream Tea Day, 24 June 2016!
One lucky winner will be chosen at random to receive six freshly made scones, a pot of jam, clotted cream a whole Victoria Sponge plus a packet of fine quality Loose Leaf Cheshire Tea!
Terms and Conditions apply, see end of this blog for details!
Here at Room Forty I love to experiment, so once I got the hang of things, I started to create my own flavours, including strawberry and lime, fresh blueberry and coconut… but today I will share my basic recipe. It is bit on the sticky side, so do have a damp cloth ready to wipe your hands!
450g Self raising flour
50g caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
200ml milk (or buttermilk, or milk with a squeeze of lemon)
(80g fruit optional)
1) Preheat your oven to 220*c or 200* if it is a fan oven, and grease 2 trays
2) Rub the butter into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs
3) Add the baking powder and sugar and mix
4) Break the eggs and add the milk to the eggs, stir it up and take a couple of tablespoons of the mixture out, to glaze the scones at the end
5) Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones and bring it all together into a sticky ball (Add any fruit here)
6) Pop it onto the worktop and using a bit of flour to stop it sticking, roll it out to about 3/4 inch thick. Use a cutter to cut straight down then back up – never twist the cutter or they won’t rise properly
7) Roll up any unused dough and repeat until it is all used up
8) Brush the tops, not the sides with the egg/milk mixture and pop them in the oven for about 10-15 minutes (depending on how big you made them!)
9) Lift out and tap the bottom, it will sound slightly hollow and the base will be golden
10) Cool on a wire rack covered with a tea towel to stop them going hard
Competition Terms and Conditions
Like and share the Room Forty Facebook page , or comment on this blog to be in with a chance to win!
The winner will be selected at random at 9pm on Sunday 26 June and contacted within 2 days.
- Cream tea will be delivered at a mutually convenient date
- Cream tea includes; six scones, jam, clotted cream a Victoria sponge and loose leaf tea from Cheshire Tea Company
- Prize does not include china hire or waitress service
- No cash alternative prize is available
- Must be within a 5 mile radius, or be able to collect from Woolston, Warrington